"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, April 01, 2006

SNMR 1.3: "Good Will Hunting"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Good Will Hunting" (1997, R, 126 minutes) starring Robin Williams, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Minnie Driver and Stellan Skarsgard. The film was directed by Gus Van Sant.

If I remember correctly, this is one of the first DVD's I ever bought and is another one of my favorite movies. It's practically a must own, especially if you live in or around Boston, because it was filmed entirely on location in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Dorchester and South Boston, Massachusetts. Not many films are shot entirely on location these days and fewer still take place outside of New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. I think it's cool when you actually have some familiarity with the locations you see in a movie.

This film was nominated for nine Academy Awards, netting Best Supporting Actor for Robin Williams and Best Original Screenplay for Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.

Robin Williams has been one of my favorite actors, ever since the days of TV's "Mork and Mindy" in the late 1970's & early 1980's. I think Matt Damon is also a good actor, but I'm not a fan generally of Ben Affleck's movies. The natural chemistry and real life friendship of Damon and Affleck clearly is visible in their on-screen performances. Plus, Red Sox fans get to relive one of the most famous moments in baseball history. Can't beat that.

From Martin & Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2006, p. 456:

"When a janitor at MIT (Matt Damon) is discovered to be a natural mathematical genius, he and the powers-that-be turn to a troubled psychologist (Robin Williams) to sort out the boy's problems. Surprisingly straightforward direction with a few quirky touches and superb performances result in a near masterpiece of cinema that can be enjoyed by viewers of all ages and backgrounds. Damon co-wrote the Oscar-winning screenplay with friend and co-star Ben Affleck. This is one not to miss."


There are some great, memorable lines in this film. The one thing I dislike about this film is the one line where Damon's charachter insults my current hometown. But that is not enough to change my opinion of this excellent movie. If you haven't seen this film yet (what planet have you been living on?) or haven't seen it in a while, it's worth another rent, and definitely is a good movie to own. I'll give this film five out of five stars.

5 Comments:

At 02 April, 2006 00:01, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

I agree. It is nice to see a movie with familiar surroundings. It makes it more "real" to you.

Funny, I can't think of any movies filmed in St. Louis Mo. at the moment. There are a few but they escape me right now.

Anyway thanks for the review...and, yes, I haven't seen this movie as yet so, I guess I'm not from "this planet." LOL

 
At 02 April, 2006 11:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good film! Robin Williams is da man.

 
At 02 April, 2006 13:54, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

good movie. a little Tv movie-of-the week toward the end, but still infinitely enjoyable.

 
At 03 April, 2006 07:21, Blogger DaBich said...

I haven't seen it all thru, just bits and pieces. I guess I'm from another planet too LOL

 
At 03 April, 2006 15:47, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

dabich,

you're a a larry the cable guy fan. of course you dind't see this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home