"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Books of the Month - March 2009

This month's Book of the Month selections were an easy choice for me to make. After recommending this series in December 2008 and this series last month, it only seemed natural to recommend these two books as well.

This month's selections close out the series of the Belgariad and Malloreon in, what I think, is some of David and Leigh Eddings best work. I generally don't read real life biographical or autobiographical material because I find it very tedious reading. But in "Belgarath the Sorcerer" and "Polgara the Sorceress" you have autobiographies of the two fictional characters that form the pillar of the Belgariad and Malloreon, which intertwines the history of the world the Eddings' have created that is totally engrossing.



I have read the two five-book series many times, but I had only read these two books once before, when they were each first published. I had a hard time putting them down then and an equally hard time putting them down this time. When I finished with "Polgara the Sorceress," I almost wanted to start reading the Belgariad again. Almost.



If you loved the ten previous volumes as much as I did, then these books will be a welcome addition to your collection.

Purchase your copies here and here.

Bonus: For those of you aspiring writers who want to enter the world of fantasy writing, here's how they did it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 04 March, 2009 15:00, Blogger Stephanie Faris said...

There are so many talented fantasy writers out there, I'll just leave the good fantasy writing to them!

 
At 07 March, 2009 04:22, Blogger Fantastic Forrest said...

I LOVE both series. If I get tempted to read the first book of one of the two, I do so knowing I have to read all the rest again. More addictive than crack. Not that I've tried crack.

The Polgara and Belgarath books are equally good. I'm not really crazy about The Rivan Codex because it's basically just reference notes about the stories.

 
At 07 March, 2009 11:04, Blogger Tim said...

Steph: Yes there are. These series by Eddings have long been among my favorites.

FF: Thanks for stopping by and reading/commenting. I hope you'll visit often. New readers/commenters are always welcome.

I agree with your assesment that once you get into these books you have to read them all. Has happened to me many times.

I read Rivan Codex once and I enjoyed it because I'm such a fan of these books and would love to write a series of my own, but need a good idea for a story.

May I recommend to you "The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind? The first book in that series is "Wizards First Rule"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home