"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Lt. Col. William Arthur Bamford I (1909-2006)

The patriarch of my family is gone.

My grandfather passed away this morning at 10:55 AM EST. Aside from the last few years, he lived a full, wonderful life. He was a great and humble man, who dedicated his life to serving the Lord as a Salvation Army Officer (minister), and was active in the Corps (churches) he soldiered in (attended) even after he retired in 1973. He truly will be missed by all that knew him.

I've often said over the course of my lifetime that if he (and my grandmother, who died in 2001) don't get into heaven then no one goes. Fortunately, though he is home now with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Though I am saddened by his passing, his death was not an unexpected event. His quality of life was nil, as evidenced in the two times I got to visit with him recently, in July and October of this year. This increasing decline in his health was confirmed by the reports of my parents who visited him monthly, including the last time less than two weeks ago. I am comforted to know that he is in a better place now and finally at peace, reunited with his wife of almost 70 years.

The good news is, though, that I will see him again in heaven someday, and what a reunion that will be!

The funeral will likely be on Friday, so I will be away from my computer on Thursday and Friday but should be back either late Friday or Saturday.

What follows is a pictorial tribute to my grandfather from most of the pictures that I have on my computer. I've excluded the pictures showing other living relatives, not wanting to post their pictures on the internet without their permission. It's fitting to include my grandmother (d. 2001) in this tribute since she was his rock and his life.

WILLIAM ARTHUR BAMFORD I (May 25, 1909-November 28, 2006)




W. Arthur & Eleanor Bamford, at retirement, c. 1973


-

W. Arthur & Eleanor Bamford, Aug. 20, 1987




W. Arthur & Eleanor Bamford, 65th Anniversary, Sept. 1997




W. Arthur Bamford, 94th bithday, 2003




My grandfather and me, July 15, 2006



For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

1 Timothy 4:6-8 KJV



But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 KJV

8 Comments:

At 28 November, 2006 17:48, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Rest in peace, Colonel.

 
At 28 November, 2006 23:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice tribute, I hope some day some one says such good things about me...



Thanks for your help.

See how easy it is to share goodwill!

 
At 29 November, 2006 12:00, Blogger Kayla said...

Very nice photos and kind words for a beloved grandfather.
Sorry for your loss, and rejoice that you will be reunited one day.

That's a really nice photo of you too.

 
At 29 November, 2006 20:16, Blogger ~AprilD said...

I'm sorry Green. It's so hard to have family members who are so advanced in age and with a much lower quality of life then what we believe they should have. It's true, a much better place.

 
At 01 December, 2006 10:16, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

My condolences to you and your family green. It's quite obvious that you and he were very close. How blessed he was to have had such a full life! Just imagine all the wonderful and glorious things he'd had the chance to be apart of and have in his sight over the years. Amazing, beautiful indeed! You're in my prayers. God Bless....

 
At 01 December, 2006 13:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ring-a-ling?

 
At 08 December, 2006 13:01, Blogger American Guy said...

I know how much he meant to you. Even when expected, a loss like this is hard.

By the way, how's your dad taking it, now that he's lost bost his parents? Please tell him that he's (and you of course) in my thoughts.

 
At 08 December, 2006 13:41, Blogger Tim said...

AG: you know, my dad is actually fine with it. I asked him several times how he was doing and he said ok because he knew it was coming and my grandfather had no quality of life left and since they visited him every month since April they saw his steady decline in health.
My dad told me that his mom's death was actually harder for him because the of the suddenness of it. Once she broke her hip, her end came quickly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home