"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, April 08, 2006

SNMR 1.4: "Walk the Line"

Per request, tonight's SNMR feature is "Walk the Line" (2005, PG-13, 135 minutes) starring Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Ginnifer Goodwin and Robert Patrick. The film was directed by James Mangold.

When this DVD came out I really had no interest in buying it since I hadn't seen the movie in the theater and I've never been a huge Johnny Cash fan. Though the movie had appeal since I've been a fan of Reese Witherspoon since I first saw "Pleasantville" in 1998 and "Cruel Intentions" in 1999. I wasn't aware until just now all of the films Joaquin Phoenix has been in, not realizing that he played Max in the quite campy but decent "Space Camp." Overall he is a fair actor but not one of my favorites.

This film won three Golden Globe Awards including Best Picture and was nominated for several Academy Awards this year, including Best Picture and Best Actress, which was won by Reese Witherspoon, though I don't agree with it.

From the DVD's dust jacket:

"Singer. Rebel. Outlaw. Hero. With his driving freight-train chords, steel eyed intensity and a voice as dark as the night, the legendary "Man in Black" revolutionized music - and forged his legacy as a genuine American icon. Golden Globe nominees Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon star (and sing) as Johnny Cash and June Carter in this inspiring true story of one man's unwavering devotion to his sound, his message and the greatest love of his life."


I just don't understand all of the buzz and praise this film received. I thought that the two leads did a great job of singing and really seemed to enjoy singing together. The movie was good, but not great by any stretch. I think it focused too much on Cash's drug and alcohol problems, which slowed the pace a bit too much for my liking. The ending was flat and unexciting. Overall the script was decent, as it was based on Cash's autobiography. I'll give this film three out of five stars.

14 Comments:

At 09 April, 2006 15:28, Blogger Minister Scribe said...

Johnny Cash is naught but a zit upon the music industry's collective ass.

 
At 09 April, 2006 15:45, Blogger Deb said...

The alochol and drug problem seems like the most interesting plot of the story. .... hmmm...

Now what I wanna know is who you really went with and what the date was like................ ;)

Details!

 
At 09 April, 2006 16:17, Blogger Bryan said...

My wife and I enjoyed the film.

I didn't realize that June had come from a Christian background. In the movie, her parents seemed to have had a strong influence on helping to get Johnny away from the substance abuse scene.

 
At 09 April, 2006 16:34, Blogger Kayla said...

I absolutely LOVE this movie! I am a Johnny Cash fan, however. I also dig Joaquin, and enjoy Reese as well.
Gotta remember I'm from the South..that will explain alot ;)
Also have to admire anyone who can come out of such an addiction and wild lifestyle and totally turn their life around like Cash did.

 
At 09 April, 2006 16:37, Blogger Tim said...

shannon: glad you liked the movie.

~deb: No date. I actually found a new copy of the DVD on ebay and bought it for far less than in a regular store. Sadly I have not been on a date in quite some time, but I'll post more about that on Friday.

bryan: don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie, it's just not on my favorites list.
Before watching it I knew next to nothing about Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash. That is an interesting tidbit about, June and her parents. Though it really shouldn't surprise me since that area is part of the "Bible Belt."

 
At 09 April, 2006 16:39, Blogger Tim said...

kayla:

It is true that Johnny Cash did turn around his life and beat his addiction to drugs and alcohol. That is not an easy thing to do and quite admirable indeed. Though I'll bet having a stong woman at his side for 35 years certainly didn't hurt...

 
At 09 April, 2006 19:38, Blogger Ruth said...

Loved movie, cast, though can see why you felt the way you felt. You weren't the only one... my family is split on liking/not liking the movie. My husband is a big Cash fan so the music has been around my ears for awhile... was interesting to see this one take on his life...

 
At 10 April, 2006 09:15, Blogger Minister Scribe said...

Children, honestly, this man added nothing of any irrelevance to music history. He was just a boozin', floozin' redneck.

 
At 10 April, 2006 09:15, Blogger Minister Scribe said...

^

that should be "relevance."

 
At 10 April, 2006 14:08, Blogger DaBich said...

Green~If Johnny hadn't had June at his side, he'd never have gotten where he did. SHE was the steading force in his life, as well as his inspiration.

Minister~it's funny, My mother HATED Johnny Cash. (RIP Mom, I miss you.) I don't care for Country Music, so I can take him or leave him. But I found the movie very good.

 
At 10 April, 2006 16:09, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

The only movie more irrelevant was Beyond the Sea about Bobby Darin.

 
At 11 April, 2006 05:57, Blogger DaBich said...

You seem to like that word a lot lately...irrelevant.

 
At 11 April, 2006 11:08, Blogger Minister Scribe said...

Irrelevancy is the true motor that powers the Great Machine fo Human Consciousness, my child. I was saving this lesson for when my flock was prepared for it, but ya just hadda be a nosey broad, didn'tcha?

 
At 12 April, 2006 11:13, Blogger DaBich said...

LOL..I'm too predictable I see. Better work on that...or..maybe it's YOU who's too predictable lol

Nosey Biatch indeed :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home