"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, June 17, 2006

SNMR 1.15: "Mr. Holland's Opus"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Mr. Holland's Opus" (1995, PG, 143 minutes), starring Richard Dreyfuss, Glenne Headley, Jay Thomas, Olympia Dukakis, William H. Macy, Jean Louisa Kelly and Alicia Witt. The film was directed by Stephen Herek.

I can't remember exactly when I first watched this film in its entirety for the first time. I remember sitting at home with my (now) ex-wife and she was watching this movie on television. She suggested that I watch it with her and that I'd really enjoy it but I wanted nothing to do with it. I believe this was in 2001 or 2002.

From the DVD's dust jacket:

Acclaimed star Richard Dreyfuss goves the performance of a lifetime (1995 Academy Award nominee, Best Actor) in this uplifting hit cheered by audiences everywhere! Glenn Holland (Dreyfuss) is a passionate musician who dreams of composing one truly memorable piece of music. But reality intrudes when he reluctantly accepts a "day job" as a high school music teacher to support his family. In time, however, Mr. Holland realizes that his real passion is teaching and his legacy is the generations of young people he inspires. Also featuring Glenne Headly (2 Days In The Valley, Dick Tracy) and Olympia Dukakis (Mafia!, Moonstruck) - you're sure to find this electrifying motion picture both entertaining and unforgettable!
From Martin & Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2006, p. 751:

In this wonderful family film, Richard Dreyfuss gives an outstanding performance as a music teacher who struggles to have a positive effect on the lives of his students despite complications at home. We don't want to give away any more of the story than this. Suffice it to say, this is a feel good movie in the best sense with accolades deserved by all involved.
I have no idea why it took me so long to come around to watching this film. Once I did I was hooked and it now ranks as one of my all time favorite films. Richard Dreyfuss is one of my favorite actors. He should have won the Best Actor Oscar for this role in 1995, but lost out to Nicholas Cage (Leaving las Vegas). Jean Louisa Kelly is excellent and has a beautiful singing voice. The casting for this movie is superb and the script is wonderfully written, moving at a good pace throughout. This is one movie where I always get the watery eyes at the end. Every time. You not only ought to watch this movie again, you should add it to your DVD collection. I'm going to give this movie a perfect five out of five stars.

2 Comments:

At 18 June, 2006 00:39, Blogger wmy said...

Ohhhhh.love, love and love it again!! I watched this movie at the theatre with my mom, and I can remember her crying because he was 60 years old, and she said she just realized that in 14 years she would be 60 too...she is now 57 years old...that tells you how long ago it was...I cry every single time I watch it.

 
At 19 June, 2006 18:47, Blogger Minister Scribe said...

LOL!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home