"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, August 12, 2006

SNMR 1.27: "Some Kind of Wonderful"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Some Kind of Wonderful" (1987, PG-13, 94 minutes), starring Eric Stoltz, Lea Thompson, Mary Stuart Masterson, Craig Sheffer, Elias Koteas and John Ashton. The film was directed by Howard Deutch.

This film has long been one of my favorite teen movies. I first saw it in the theater when I was in high school, while working for General Cinemas. Because this movie was showing at that time, there are certain scenes in this film which I have seen literally hundreds of times.

From the DVD's dust jacket:
Think everyone over 17 has forgotten what it's like to be 16? Filmmaker John Hughes (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Pretty in Pink) hasn't. Now Hughes (writer & producer) delivers another funny, savvy, crowd-pleasing look at adolescence in this story about a high school misfit (Eric Stoltz- Mask), who falls so head-over-heels for the senior class siren that he's blind to the charms of his beautiful and devoted best pal (Mary Stuart Masterson- Fried Green Tomatoes). Some fun, some heartache, Some Kind of Wonderful!

From Martin & Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2006, p. 1054:
Eric Stoltz stars as an affable lad who can't seem to make any headway with women. Unaware of the deep affection hurled in his direction by constant companion Mary Stuart Masterson (who all but steals the show), Stoltz sets his eyes high on Lea Thompson. Perceptive, thoughtful viewing.
As with most of John Hughes other work, this film is excellently written, and has a good pace to it. The cast is excellent. I agree with the above assessment that Masterson's charachter Watts steals almost every scene she's in. I also love Elias Koteas as the skinhead Duncan. I love the film's closing song "Can't Help Falling in Love" performed by a little known band called Lick the Tins. As somewhat of a high school misfit myself and most of the time painfully clueless around women I find attractive, I can relate to this film on many levels. This is a wonderful little film on it's own merits and for sentimental reasons. I'll give this film five out of five stars. So go rent it or buy it on the cheap from ebay, like I did.

1 Comments:

At 15 August, 2006 00:57, Blogger Tink said...

I so loved this movie!!! John Hughes is a good producer. Did you know he produced Uncle Buck...which by the the way is a great movie??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home