"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, December 16, 2006

SNMR 2.15: "It's a Wonderful Life"

In the spirit of Christmas, tonight's SNMR feature is "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946, NR, B&W, 132 minutes), starring James Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore, Henry Travers, Beulah Bondi, Thomas Mitchell, Gloria Grahame, Frank Faylen, Ward Bond, Frank Albertson, H.B. Warner and Todd Karns. The film was directed by Frank Capra.

The first time that I saw this film was as a junior in college. I had heard of it, of course but at that time was prejudiced against black and white movies. My California roommate Steve was dumbfounded that I had never watched this movie before and immediately insisted that I watch it. Since then, I've watched it hundreds of times.

From the DVD's dust case:

No one is born to be a failure. No one is poor who has friends. Simple thoughts that were the inspiration for one of the richest, most uplifting, most beloved American films ever made. Frank Capra's classic tale of George Bailey and his Christmas Eve visit with a guardian angel was nominated for five Oscars (but didn't win any) including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor. After more than 50 years it remains as powerful and moving as the day it was made.


From Martin & Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2007, p. 574:
Have you ever wished you'd never been born? What if that wish were granted? That's the premise of Frank Capra's heartbreaking, humorous and ultimately heartwwarming It's a Wonderful Life. The story is about a good man who is so busy helping others that life seems to pass him by.


This is one of the best films ever made, in any era. Period. James Stewart (in his first role after returning from fighting in World War II) and Donna Reed headline a superb cast with top notch acting. The story is marvelous and incredibly touching. This is one of those rare films that gets me all weepy at the end, every time. How could you not be? Watch it every Christmas, own it (a must for any movie-buff or film historian). Obviously, this film gets five out of five stars.

9 Comments:

At 17 December, 2006 15:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This is one of the best films ever made, in any era. Period."

On this, my friend, we stand on common ground.

For me, watching this is one of the highlights of the season.

I'm a sentimental old fool, I know...

 
At 17 December, 2006 21:24, Blogger Tim said...

AG: Glad you agree.

I try and watch this movie at least once every Christmas season. And when I need a refresher on life perspective....

Though I'll join you in that sentimental old fools club....

 
At 18 December, 2006 08:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats still my favorite movie of ALL time!

 
At 18 December, 2006 23:24, Blogger Ruth said...

I own a copy of this one... which is kind of insane since they put it on TV ad nauseum this time of year... but I have it commercial free! :o) xoS

 
At 19 December, 2006 13:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie, just wanted to thank you for your little visit while I was gone.

Merry Christmas.

 
At 19 December, 2006 15:25, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Best. Christmas. Movie. Ever.

 
At 20 December, 2006 15:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scribe and Green agreeing? It's a christmas miracle!

 
At 20 December, 2006 15:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scribe and Green agreeing? It's a christmas miracle!

 
At 21 December, 2006 12:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I absolutely adore this movie.

Merry Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home