"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, April 28, 2007

SNMR 3.4: "The Break-Up"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "The Break-Up" (2006, PG-13, 107 minutes), starring Vince Vaughn, Jennifer Aniston, Jon Favreau, Joey Lauren Adams, Vincent D'Onofrio and John Michael Higgins. The film was directed by Peyton Reed.

The first time I watched this movie was shortly after it came out on DVD. I bought it because I've enjoyed most of Jennifer Aniston's movies.

From the DVD's dust case:
Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston star in the charming and unpredictable comedy The Break-Up. After two years together, Gary and Brooke's relationship seems to have taken a comical wrong turn on the way to happily ever after. Now, the break-up is on, the lines have been drawn, and their honest feelings for each other are coming out. Get ready for an all-out war of the exes in this fun date movie that's hilarious and heartfelt.


From Muze, Inc.
Despite its seemingly classic date-movie setup, THE BREAK UP bucks romantic comedy tradition at almost every turn. Gary (Vince Vaughn) and Brooke (Jennifer Aniston) are a mismatched couple who meet, develop a seemingly contented relationship, and buy a beautiful condo together within the movie’s first few minutes. Soon an all-too-believable fight triggers the title event, and they spend the rest of the movie alternately arguing and playing mind games as they battle over ownership of their beloved condo--and try to decide whether or not they really want this to be the end. In one of the movie’s more dangerous yet courageous twists, neither Vaughn nor Aniston play especially likable characters. They never become unpleasant to watch, though, thanks largely to their formidable reservoirs of charisma. Vaughn is a master of the unkempt, immature, and hilarious everyman (Old School, The Wedding Crashers), while Aniston radiates bewildered decency, even in prickly roles (The Good Girl, Friends With Money). Both of them are engaging presences, even when the movie veers away from comedy and into a kind of painful realism, as Gary and Brooke get caught up in a bitter and mean-spirited cycle of fighting that neither of them can win. The script’s few weak patches are usually saved by the tremendous supporting cast, including ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT’s Jason Bateman as the couple’s realtor, Judy Davis as Brooke’s boss, John Michael Higgins as her irrepressible, sexually ambiguous brother, and Jon Favreau as Gary’s best friend, in scenes that effortlessly recapture some of the duo’s SWINGERS chemistry. Peyton Reed, the director of the underrated DOWN WITH LOVE, isn’t afraid to make his romantic comedy both unromantic and, occasionally, depressingly truthful, but thanks to the group of actors assembled here, watching a relationship unravel has rarely been more enjoyable.


I really enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would. It hit home for me because I recognized in Vaughn's character, some of my immaturity and shortcomings in my attitude that was one of the factors in my divorce. I think that there is definitely a realism to this film in that relationships need constant work to survive. While I'm not a huge Vince Vaughn fan, I think he plays his character well. I think the script is excellently written and flows well. The supporting cast is very good. I'll give this film four out of five stars.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 30 April, 2007 15:36, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Did you read my review of this film on my now almost defunct Scribe on Film blog?

 
At 30 April, 2007 16:04, Blogger Tim said...

yes I did. and I just re-read it now to refresh my memory.

 
At 01 May, 2007 12:03, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hmm. Funny thing for me on this is that it wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be. Mostly because I went in expecting a comedy - and came out thinking, "hmmm. Not at all a comedy".

But what I DID like about it, is that it was very true to life about how you can spend so much time with someone for such a period -and then have it seem almost as if you never even knew them years later.

 
At 01 May, 2007 12:37, Blogger Tim said...

rebecca:

first of all thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. New commenters are always welcome and appreciated.

this film definitely wasn't a comedy in the usual sense. More of a dark comedy. I did think it was funny and real in that it showed how silly some arguments can be that couples have and what seemingly insignificant events can ignite them and further how they can quickly spiral out of control.

 
At 03 May, 2007 18:21, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

too bad it sucked

 

Post a Comment

<< Home