"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, July 14, 2007

SNMR 3.17: "Rope"

The second feature in this month's SNMR tribute to James Stewart is "Rope" (1948, NR, 81 minutes), starring James Stewart, John Dall, Farley Granger, Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Joan Chandler, Constance Collier, Edith Evanson and Douglas Dick. The film was directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

I haven't seen this film since I was in that film history and appreciation class in college, so I don't remember much about this movie. It'll be just like I'm watching it for the first time tonight.

From the DVD's dust case:
James Stewart stars with Farley Granger and John Dall in a highly charged thriller inspired by the real-life Leopold-Loeb murder case. Granger and Dall give riveting performances as two friends who strangle a classmate for intellectual thrills, then proceed to throw a party for the victim's family and friends - with the body stuffed inside the trunk they use for a buffet table. As the killers turn the conversation to committing the "perfect murder", their former teacher (Stewart) becomes increasingly suspicious. Before the night is over, the professor will discover how brutally his students have turned his academic theories into chilling reality in Hitchcock's spellbinding excursion into the macabre.


From Martin and Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2007, p.962:
Recently resurrected Alfred Hitchcock film is based in part on the famous Leopold-Loeb thrill-murder case in Chicago in the 1920's. In it, the two killers divulge clues to their horrific escapade at a dinner party, to the growing suspicion of the other guests. It's one of Hitchcock's best.


This was an excellent film with an interesting premise and excellent script. John Dall is excellent as the creepy, overconfident Brandon and Farley Granger is good as Philip, the conspirator with the cracking conscience. Joan Chandler (Janet Walker) reminded me very much of Donna Reed in mannerism and looks. Stewart's performance once again is solid. Alfred Hitchcock does a masterful job at controlling what we see and when to keep the suspense taut. This is the first of four Stewart/Hitchcock collaborations and is a worthwhile viewing experience. I'll give this film four out of five stars.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 16 July, 2007 21:58, Blogger Lawyerchic said...

law school hath made me cynical green, and stressed, cut a sister a break huh?

 
At 16 July, 2007 22:00, Blogger Lawyerchic said...

meanie!

*runs away crying*

 
At 17 July, 2007 11:09, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Green!! Pssst! Over here!!! Greeennnn!!!



She's not really a sister

 
At 17 July, 2007 11:41, Blogger Tim said...

priscilla: I was jus' kiddin!!!

scribe: gee do ya think so?

 
At 17 July, 2007 16:47, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Why? Am I wrong? Am I!?


Ah, crap!!!

 
At 17 July, 2007 17:52, Blogger Lawyerchic said...

Sister Christian!!! LOL!!

Scribe I already told you to leave me to my delusions-I grew up in a multiculturally diverse city/school system, I got called sistah everyday, and other stuff too!! I speak ebonics also so there. Also I'm in love with a partially black man...so I'm over qualified for sistah hood:)

 
At 19 July, 2007 15:17, Blogger JLee said...

I LOVE this movie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home