"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, July 21, 2007

SNMR 3.18: "Harvey"

The third feature in this month's SNMR tribute to James Stewart is "Harvey" (1950, NR, 105 min., B&W) starring James Stewart, Josephine Hull, Charles Drake, Cecil Kellaway, Jesse White, Victoria Horne, Wallace Ford and Peggy Dow. The film was directed by Henry Koster.

The only scene I had ever seen from this movie was a short clip near the beginning of "Field of Dreams" and had always wondered which of Stewart's films it was from. Now I know.

From the DVD's dust case:

James Stewart gives one of his finest performances in this lighthearted film, based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning play.
Stewart stars as the good-natured Elwood P. Dowd, whose constant companion is Harvey, a six-foot tall rabbit that only he can see. To his sister, Veta Louise, Elwood's obsession with Harvey has been a thorn in the side of her plans to marry off her daughter. But when Veta Louise decides to put Elwood in a mental hospital, a hilarious mix-up occurs and she finds herself committed instead.
It's up to Elwood to straighten out the mess with his kindly philosophy, and his "imaginary" friend, in this popular classic that features a Best Supporting Actress Academy Award-winning performance by Josephine Hull.


From Martin and Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2007, p. 485:

James Stewart has one of his best screen roles as Elwood P. Dowd, a delightful drunk whose best friend is a six-foot rabbit named Harvey. Josephine Hull is the concerned relative who wants Elwood committed to a mental institution and Cecil Kellaway is the psychiatrist who discovers there's more magic than madness to our hero's illusion.


I hadn't bought a DVD in quite a while until circumstances forced me to buy this one. I'm glad I did, too. Jimmy Stewart's performance as the quirky Elwood P. Dowd, is simply flawless, fabulous and most definitely Oscar-worthy. In fact, he was nominated for Best Actor in 1951 but lost out to Humphrey Bogart (The African Queen). The supporting cast is excellent. The story is original and charming. The screen adaptation is flawless because it was written by the playwright and thus moves at a crisp pace. A bonus to the DVD is that Jimmy Stewart himself gives a voice over introduction to the film (recorded 3/8/90), claiming it as one of his favorite all-time roles.

If you've never watched this classic film before, I strongly recommend that you do and feel confident that it will quickly become one of your favorites. You can get it at Amazon.com for under $12. I'll give this film five out of five stars.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 22 July, 2007 03:13, Blogger American Guy said...

i was hoping you'd do this one. As you may have guessed, Harvey was my inspiration for my comments about invisble rabbits over on GvD

 
At 22 July, 2007 06:16, Blogger Tim said...

well, since I hadn't seen this film before, the connection was lost on me. Now it makes sense.

I'm glad I reviewed this movie. What a cool film.

 
At 05 August, 2007 07:12, Blogger L said...

I havent seen this movie in a long time, but it is definitely one of my favorites, I will have to put it on my netflix list and watch it again.

 
At 05 August, 2007 08:32, Blogger Tim said...

lori: thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. New readers/commenters are always welcome. COme back again, won't you?

 
At 05 August, 2007 19:22, Blogger L said...

Netflix let me watch it on their web site this morning, loved every minute of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home