"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, August 25, 2007

SNMR 3.23: "Casablanca"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Casablanca" (1942, NR, 102 minutes, B&W), starring Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains, Dooley Wilson, Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. The film was directed by Michael Curtiz. This film won three Oscars in 1943 (Best Picture, Best Director & Best Screenplay) and was nominated for five more, including Best Actor (Bogart) and Best Supporting Actor (Rains).

The first time I ever watched this movie was in that wonderful film history/appreciation class in college. I've watched it many times since and will many more times, I'm sure.

From Martin and Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2007, p. 179:
A kiss may be just a kiss and a sigh just a sigh, but there is only one Casablanca. This feast of romance and World War II intrigue is an all-time classic.

From Muze, Inc.:
World War II Morocco springs to life in Michael Curtiz's classic love story. Colorful characters abound in Casablanca, a waiting room for Europeans trying to escape Hitler's war-torn Europe. Humphrey Bogart plays Richard "Rick" Blaine, a cynical but good-hearted American whose café is the gathering place for everyone from the French Police to the black market to the Nazis. When his long-lost love, Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman), surfaces in Casablanca with her Resistance leader husband, Victor Laszlo (Paul Henreid), Rick is pulled into both a love triangle and a web of political intrigue. Ilsa and Victor need to escape from Casablanca, and Rick may be the only one who can help them. The question is, will he? Top-notch performances include Claude Rains as the chief of the French police and the major authority figure in Unoccupied France, Peter Lorre as the doomed Senor Ugarte, Sydney Greenstreet as Senor Ferrari, and Dooley Wilson as Rick's loyal friend and the café's pianist, Sam. The mesmerizing musical score, by Max Steiner, along with the well-structured plot, flawless acting, and unforgettable dialogue makes this one of the best films of all time.


When lines like, "Here's looking at you, kid." (and many others) make it into the realm of Americana, you're talking about a cinema masterpiece. This is one of the best films ever made in any era. Period. What more can I say? Watch it. Buy it. A must have. Obviously, this film gets five out of five stars.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 26 August, 2007 18:28, Blogger Stephanie Faris said...

Can you believe I've never seen Casablanca? I suck! I just got around to seeing The Notebook (no comparison, I know, but people told me I HAD to see it). I tend to avoid movies that will make me cry!

 
At 26 August, 2007 19:41, Blogger Tim said...

steph: quite frankly, I am shocked, shocked that you haven't seen this iconic piece of cinema. Your assignment: rent this movie. You will love it. I don't know anyone who has seen it who doesn't.

 
At 26 August, 2007 22:43, Blogger American Guy said...

"there is only one Casablanca" (and) "This is one of the best films ever made in any era."

I don't always agree with you, but when you're right, you're right. - this is firmly in my 'top 5 of all time' list.

Oh, and good use of one of the funnier lines in the film in your response to steph.

 
At 27 August, 2007 21:44, Blogger Tim said...

ag said:

"I don't always agree with you, but when you're right, you're right."

green replies:

That's why you should listen to me more often, because I know what I'm talking about!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home