"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, November 10, 2007

SNMR 4.2: "13 Going on 30"


Tonight's SNMR feature is "13 Going on 30" (2004, PG-13, 98 minutes), starring Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo, Judy Greer and Andy Serkis. The film was directed by Gary Winick.

PLOT SUMMARY:
Thirteen year old Jenna Rink isn't happy with herself and wants to be 30 and glamorous like the women in a popular fashion magazine. Thanks to her best friend Matt and a bit of wishing dust, Jenna gets her wish. Now she has to deal with the person she's become overnight - a heartless fashion magazine editor. Apparently Jenna's new life is everything she ever wanted, but finds it an empty life without her childhood best friend. Now, this grown woman must create some magic of her own to help the little girl inside find the true love she left behind.


The first time I saw this movie was just after it came out on DVD and Comcast pay-per-view. This was when I was in the midst of catching up on the first three seasons of Alias, so I was in a Jennifer Garner groove. And I still am. Always will be too.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS MOVIE:
Jennifer Garner demonstrates her versatility as an actress in this film, proving that she can do comedic roles just as well as the serious ones. My favorite scene is the dance/party scene where Jennifer Garner starts dancing solo to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and gets everyone else to do it too. I love '80's reminiscent movies. Andy Serkis is fantastic and he steals virtually every scene he is in. The music in the film is an excellent mix of songs from the 80's and today. Mark Ruffalo is my hero. He's been "romantically involved" with some of my favorite actresses in several recent movies. The script is witty in places and I think is well written. Winick does a good job directing. The DVD does have some good cast and crew interview extras, which I like.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT THIS MOVIE:
Face it, this movie is smothered in cheesiness. There's no getting around that. Though he does have one good scene, Garner's hockey player boyfriend adds little to the story. Jennifer Garner's nemesis, played by Judy Greer, is quite annoying by the end of the film.

***3/4 out of *****

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12 November, 2007 17:39, Blogger DaBich said...

Jennifer Garner is one of my favs. She's adorable. This movie had me laughing many times.

 
At 15 November, 2007 22:28, Blogger EE said...

I love cheesie movies...I know, I'm a dork.
Haven't seen this one, though. Think I'll rent it this weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home