"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, November 24, 2007

SNMR 4.3: "The Bourne Identity"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "The Bourne Identity" (2002, PG-13, 119 minutes), starring Matt Damon, Franka Potente, Chris Cooper, Clive Owen, Brian Cox and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. The film was directed by Doug Liman.

PLOT SUMMARY:
Matt Damon stars as rogue CIA agent Jason Bourne who is pulled out of the ocean with two bullets in his back and a bad case of amnesia. Bourne has to dodge his own govenment trying to kill him while attempting to piece together his past memories. Chris Cooper co-stars as Alexander Conklin, the CIA chief trying to bring Bourne down. Franka Potente co-stars as Marie Kreutz, a woman in the wrong place at the wrong time who gets caught up helping Bourne.

Tonight was the first time I had ever watched this movie. I had wanted to get into the Bourne series since this movie was released but for one reason or another, never got around to it.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS MOVIE:
I like these type of movies involving the CIA and it's agents, so I thought the premise here was good. Matt Damon is believable in the role of Jason Bourne. Chris Cooper is generally underrated as an actor and his intensity here is good. I thought the one car chase scene through Paris was well shot.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT THIS MOVIE:
This movie didn't nearly have enough action to justify the nearly two hour length. This is due to an average script and so-so directing. The movie is slow in places which drags down the pace of the story. Since there have been two sequels, something about this movie must have struck with audiences - what that is I'm still trying to figure out. Maybe repeat viewings will help.

***1/2 out of *****

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 25 November, 2007 15:28, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

wow. you have again slammed one of my favorite movies.

 
At 25 November, 2007 17:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I'm surprised at your rating of this movie. I thought this was very well done. This is a respectable film and Damon was excellent which surprised me as an action hero: understated and believable when compared to the overblown histrionics displayed by Bruce Willis, Pierce Brosnan, etc.

 
At 25 November, 2007 19:06, Blogger DaBich said...

"wow. you have again slammed one of my favorite movies."

Awwww....I guess Green is as good at it as you are ;)


Green one, I loved Bourne!

 
At 25 November, 2007 19:13, Blogger EstherNow said...

I love the Bourne Series as well, and I am in total agreement with Bluez in regard to originally thinking that Damon would be a lackluster action hero when, in fact, he is very interesting and believable in this role.

I thought that you liked the movie, Green. I didn't realize that your review would be so scandalous! Tee-Hee.

I noticed that on the jacket it says something about a new beginning and ending. What is that? Wouldn't that make it a totally different movie?

Makes me wonder if we all saw the same film.

Hmmmmm. . .

 
At 25 November, 2007 19:18, Blogger Tim said...

I did like the movie - I just thought it could have been better. I was expecting more and didn't get it. Hopefully the sequels will be better.

 
At 25 November, 2007 20:59, Blogger American Guy said...

yes, because as a rule, sequals outshine the original!

 
At 25 November, 2007 23:20, Blogger EE said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but hope to watch it over Christmas.

 
At 26 November, 2007 20:02, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

AG,

In this case they do. The sequels are actually superior. The third has all the action a man with green's circus-monkey like attention span requires and one helluva story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home