"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, December 01, 2007

SNMR 4.4: "The Bourne Supremacy"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "The Bourne Supremacy" (2004, PG-13, 109 minutes), starring Matt Damon, Joan Allen, Bryan Cox, Karl Urban, Julia Stiles, Franka Potente and Gabriel Mann. The film was directed by Paul Greengrass.

PLOT SUMMARY:

Matt Damon is back as super assassin Jason Bourne in the second installment of the Bourne trilogy. Jason and Maria have been together for two years when Bourne's cover is blown. In their hasty escape, Maria is killed by a bullet meant for Bourne, who unbeknownst to him has been accused of two murders in Berlin. When Bourne discovers that the CIA is still chasing him with intent to kill, he tries to regain more of his past memories, while narrowly escaping several close calls.


After last week's mild disappointment and scribe's whining that i dissed one of his favorite movies in the process (1-2-3 awwww), I thought I'd give the sequel a go 'round. Who says sequels are worse than the original? Who? I can't hear you...

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS MOVIE:

Now that's what I call action! Pretty much from the beginning of the movie, right up until the end, we've got action, action and more action. Throw in a few fights and car chases and you've got one happy camper. I thought the adaptation from novel to film was much better here. The story was tighter and better written. The direction and editing were fantastic. Matt Damon was again very believable in the lead role. Pamela Landy (Joan Allen) was good as the new agent heading up the pursuit of Bourne.
The ending nicely leaves open the possibility of a third film...

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT THIS MOVIE:

I thought it was disappointing that Marie (Franka Potente) gets killed in the first 15 minutes of the film but I can understand it from the perspective of not bogging down the action-hero with a love interest, but I would have liked to see them try. I was also disappointed that they killed off Chris Cooper's character sometime between films. It would have been nice to see he and Damon duke it out, Mano-e-Mano at the end.

***** out of *****

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 02 December, 2007 10:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you'd like this one better. How did you feel about the jumpy camera work during the car chase scene? There is no smooth editing in any of the fight scenes, or the car chase. Why they felt the need to jump every 5 seconds to a shot of someone’s feet shifting gears and hitting the accelerator is beyond me. Did you feel it took away from the point of the chase ?

 
At 03 December, 2007 06:48, Blogger DaBich said...

Go Bourne! lol

 
At 03 December, 2007 10:30, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Told you!!!

Bluez,

Greengrass' style is that of a documentary filmmaker. He isn't interested in standard POV shots, he is shooting a sif he is either a journalist trying to capture the action or part of it. It's meant to be jarring, although I have noticed that people over 45 have a huge problem with this.

 
At 04 December, 2007 08:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that is Greengrass's schtick, and I don't mind it, I just thought it was a bit too much in the car chase sceen.

 
At 04 December, 2007 18:43, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

shut up! how bout that?

 
At 04 December, 2007 21:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you shut up!

 
At 04 December, 2007 23:09, Blogger JLee said...

I agree...very good action, but I like Franka Potente and didn't want her to die!! Or if so, maybe a new love interest?

 
At 05 December, 2007 05:45, Blogger DaBich said...

OK you two, take it outside!

 
At 05 December, 2007 11:53, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

no you take it outside! this is how me and bluex gits down right before we gits nasty!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home