"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, February 16, 2008

SNMR 4.14: "The Departed"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "The Departed" (2006, R, 151 minutes), starring Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, Ray Winstone, Vera Farmiga and Alec Baldwin. The film was directed by Martin Scorsese. The film won four Academy Awards in 2007 (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Editing).

I've wanted to see this movie ever since I first saw the trailers for it but never got around to it until now. I would love to have watched some of the special features in the 2 disc version. Unfortunately my library didn't have that one. I'm going to add this movie to my DVD collection as soon as I can. You should too.

PLOT SUMMARY: Rookie cop Billy Costigan (DiCaprio) grew up in crime, which makes him the perfect mole to infiltrate the mob, run by Frank Costello (Nicholson). No one knows Costigan is a cop but his handlers (Sheen and Wahlberg). If he's discovered, it will mean a bullet to the head. SIU SSgt. Colin Sullivan grew up knowing Costello and is now the perfect mole inside the Massachusetts State Police. Dr. Madolyn Madden (Farmiga) is the state police psychologist who loves both Sullivan and Costigan and is torn between the two until betrayal and two bullets solves her problem.

How these covert lives cross, double cross and collide is at the ferocious core of this widely acclaimed film of crime and consequenses. Hold onto your seat for a gripping, fantastic ride.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS MOVIE: What is not to like about a movie that has gangsters, cops, dirty cops, guns and plenty of blood and guts violence? I mean aside from the gangsters, cops, dirty cops guns and plenty of blood and guts violence? After one viewing, this has become my favorite gangster movie. The all-star cast is superb. Nicholson speaks for himself. Damon and Dicaprio are sensational and convincing. Wahlberg continues to gain my respect with every role I've seen him in. Some of Scorsese's films can be slow and boring. Not this one, folks. Also, I love films that are entirely shot in my home state of Massachusetts, even if they portray the slimier underside of life in the big city. The script is wonderful and fast paced for a 2 1/2 hour movie. Even the music, with it's typical Irish themes, and soundtrack add to the excitement of this movie. [***Disclaimer: I'm not saying that if you're Irish that you're connected to the Boston mob. Boston has a definitive Irish/American heritage, which the music in the movie wonderfully brings out.]

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT THIS MOVIE: If you're oversensitive to foul language then you may be put off by this film. But I ask you, how can you have a gangster/dirty cop movie without it? There really is nothing to dislike about this film.

***** out of *****

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 17 February, 2008 18:55, Blogger JLee said...

I love this movie, especially the lines of good/evil being blurred and also that people are not always who they seem to be.

 
At 18 February, 2008 08:41, Blogger DaBich said...

I totally agree with you on this one, Green. Hubby and I both enjoyed this movie 110%!!
If you like Wahlburg, make sure to see Shooter, it's very good as well.

 
At 18 February, 2008 21:45, Blogger Luis Cayetano said...

The Departed is the best.

 
At 19 February, 2008 06:32, Blogger AM said...

Hey, i have the DVD lying on my couch for the last 10 days, only recently it went to sleep in the drawer, you think i should see it in the next few weeks? :P

 
At 19 February, 2008 10:06, Blogger Minister Scribe said...

Mu child, thou must see the original Chinese film, "Infernal Affairs." it doth have a better ending and a more poingnant message. This one was a nice try though. Enjoyed it.

 
At 19 February, 2008 11:42, Blogger Tim said...

jlee, dabich, lui: This movie was one of the best I've seen in a long time. I'm going to buy the two disc version for my DVD collection!

am: Yes, watch it!!

scribe: will add that onr to the list of movies to watch.

 
At 19 February, 2008 11:47, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

We can review it if you'd like. I made the mistake of seeing the original first, so was not as blown away by the Departed as the ret of you people.

 
At 19 February, 2008 11:56, Blogger Tim said...

Sure, we can put it on the list of reviews to do on the other column.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home