"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, May 17, 2008

SNMR 4.27: "Four Weddings and a Funeral"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (1993, R, 118 minutes), starring Hugh Grant, Andie MacDowell, Kristin Scott Thomas, Simon Callow, James Fleet, John Hannah, Charlotte Coleman and David Bower. The film was directed by Mike Newell.

PLOT SUMMARY: Handsome, debonair and confirmed London bachelor Charles (Grant) just can't get himself to commit. The more he sees his mates tie the knot, the less he wants to be roped in himself. But all of that changes when he meets and keeps running into an attractive, free-spirited American (MacDowell). Instantly smitten, Charles begins to pursue her, only to learn that she too is ready to take the plunge... with someone else!

MY OPINION: I didn't find this film to be touching or funny and certainly not effortlessly enchanting. It will never become one of the classic romantic comedies of all time. Individually, I think Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowell are fine actors and I like them in other films I've seen, but even their talent couldn't save this movie. I didn't think they got enough screen time together to build any sense of chemistry. These are paper thin characters that we have no reason to care about and root for. The story had promise but just fails. This was an incredibly weak script that, at just under two hours, was about 30 minutes too long. I found this film to be slow, boring and terribly predictable.

*1/2 out of *****

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 17 May, 2008 22:35, Blogger lccb81 said...

Really? I enjoyed this movie. I think it's actually less about the romance and more about the weddings and funeral. The characters are touching (maybe not so much the main characters but actually this is the role that made Hugh Grant more of a household name... you know, besides the prostitute and he cheated on who??? thing)

 
At 18 May, 2008 08:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't that impressed with this movie either although I may have given it 3 stars. I noticed you have "Gone baby gone" on your list of movies you've recently seen. Will you and scribe be reviewing that on your other blog? If not, I'd love your opinion on that movie, I really enjoyed it.

 
At 18 May, 2008 18:09, Blogger Tim said...

lccb: yes, this film did get Hugh Grant noticed and made him more of a household name. Still this movie didn't do it for me and I normally enjoy romantic comedies.


bluez: I'm certainly going to see i scribe will review Gone Baby Gone over on our movie blog. If not, I'll review it in a future SNMR post.

 
At 19 May, 2008 11:52, Blogger Darth Weasel said...

look at the bright side; if you have seen one Hugh Grant movie, you have pretty much seen them all. Just with different eye candy. But his character is pretty much the same every time.



disclaimer; I actually liked Music & Lyrics enough to see it twice, though the second time was on a plane...thought he was hilarious in that one.

 
At 19 May, 2008 19:44, Blogger Tim said...

dw: thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. Come back again now, y'hear?

My favorite Hugh Grant film to date was "Notting Hill" but I really haven't seen most of his recent stuff, so that opinion may change.

BTW which is your regular blog, so I can return the comment where you'll actually see it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home