"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, October 25, 2008

SNMR 5.19: "Primary Colors"

With the 2008 election season just about ready to wind down in the next 10 days or so, I thought I'd use for tonight's SNMR feature one of the movies Scribe suggested for our other movie review blog (which no one seems to read), but didn't get to review over there. So tonight's film is "Primary Colors" (1998, R, 135 minutes), starring John Travolta, Emma Thompson, Adrian Lester, Billy Bob Thornton, Kathy Bates, Maura Tierney, and Larry Hagman. The film was directed by Mike Nichols.

PLOT SUMMARY: Henry Burton's (Lester) life seems pretty normal, until he goes to meet with a politically unknown southern governor. Before he knows it, he's on the campaign trail with Governor Jack Stanton (Travolta) and his wife Susan (Thompson), and their whole crew. While Henry is hesitant at first he soon becomes a believer in the man and his message. Will the road lead to the promised land (the White House) or somewhere less desirable?

MY OPINION: I had heard about this movie for years but never had the desire to watch it. What I discovered was an interesting look at the inner workings of a political campaign that the general public never sees. John Travolta is right on the mark imitating Bill Clinton and Emma Thompson does a credible job portraying Hillary Clinton in this fictional account of the 1992 Presidential primaries. Billy Bob Thornton and Kathy Bates are also quite good. The script is snappy, based on the book by Anonymous. Mike Nichols is a capable director. I think this film works better because it is not told from the perspective of Stanton or his wife.

Having said that, this film is missing something for me that would elevate it from slightly above average to a film I'd want to see again and again. Though I can't quite tell you what that something is.

Still, it's a worthwhile rental.

*** out of *****

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 26 October, 2008 19:12, Blogger JLee said...

I honestly can't remember if I saw this movie or not? I'm losing my mind, but it seems familiar. lol

 
At 27 October, 2008 12:08, Blogger scribe said...

I am so pissed this wasn't available on DVD at my library so we could do the dup review.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home